Thursday, October 09, 2008

Let Sleeping Children Lie?

I have a confession to make. I love to take pictures of my kids while they're sleeping. Is that weird? So far, I've never woken any of them up (knock on wood) but I've acquired quite a collection of their sleeping poses.

Last night I felt compelled to go in and check on each of the sleeping babes, and naturally, snap a quick photo. We got some very sad news that a mom from school passed away yesterday, after a long illness. I was heartbroken all day thinking about her two girls (9 and 3), and couldn't resist peeking in on my own kids one last time.

It didn't help that Andrew was out for the evening (the Blazers lost, by the way... in case you care, which I don't), and I still get a little spooked when I'm home alone and the kids are asleep. There always seem to be more unexplained noises on those particular nights. What an odd coincidence!

Avery only looks like she as outgrown her bed. In reality, she just prefers to rest her foot upon her doll box and she has more than a foot of room left in her bed. And I always thought that it was impossible to sleep with one's legs or arms folded in an upright position, but Cayden and Josie have now proven that to be an old wives' tale. I watched both of them for a few moments (okay, and I even tried to push their arm & leg back down) and they didn't seem to be having any trouble snoozing.

Oh, and 2 other quick points: Avery sleeps on top of her comforter with a fleece blanket so she doesn't have to make her bed in the morning. Smart girl. :) And Cayden's awesome Star Wars pillow case was sewn (sewed?) by none other than his big sis. She's taking special orders if you want one of your own!

3 comments:

Christie said...

It's not weird. Many a night Darr and I are like "ah <insert expletive here>. We forgot to get a shot of the kid. Go get one!" And then we sneak in and snap a pic, with flash no less.

I hadn't thought of sleeping above the covers but that would certainly save me some work in the morning. Clever girl.

Oh, and if being home alone with kids makes you a tad uneasy do not, I repeat, do not rent the movie "When A Stranger Calls" (the original, not the lame remake). Nothing creepier than an obscene caller ringing you up and saying "Have you checked the children?" Memories of watching that flick with neighborhood friends while my older sister and I were, in fact, babysitting my younger brother and sister abound.

Great shots, by the way.

Dr. A said...

We sneak in multiple times between the time Erin goes to bed and when we go to bed. They look so... so... well, innocent, angelic, beautiful when they're dreaming.

Do you turn on the light or just snap with the flash? I always want to take a sleeping shot of E but am always afraid of waking her up - and meeting the Angry Badger once again.

Amber said...

Oh no... I would never turn the light on. That's crazy talk! (As if using flash photography while they're sound asleep is normal.)