Monday, January 23, 2012

what's for dinner?

I hate that question more than any other. Seriously hate, hate, hate it. And it's probably the third most popular question that I get asked each day, next to "Mama, do you know where Bear is?" and "Mama, will you play with me?"

It might be easy to normal people, but to me, getting dinner on the table after a hectic day is just about the hardest thing in the world. It is so much easier to go out to dinner, and even easier to make the kids something super easy (pb&j, quesadilla, etc.) and get grown-up take-out later.

The past few months I fell into a rut of grocery shopping almost every day for that night's meal (so I could very rarely answer the dreaded "what's for dinner?" question). If the day was particularly busy and I wasn't able to get to the store, dinner at home wasn't really an option (a convenient way to eat out a lot). Obviously, that's less than ideal for a number of reasons, so I'm trying to do a better job of planning out the week's meals... and following through on one big (huge) grocery run on Sunday to be ready to make said meals.

Of course this would be much easier if there was a set time when I knew everyone would be home and would have time for a real meal. But, where would the fun be in that? Here's how this week's meals are shaping up--and by week, I mean Monday through Thursday because Friday and the weekend hardly count:

Monday: We had a super convenient 'out' because Cayden's school was having a restaurant fundraiser tonight. Done and done. And no dishes!
Tuesday: Chili
Wednesday: Creamy Pesto Linguine with Chicken and Spinach Souflee
Thursday: Tacos (tacos are in a weekly rotation around here)

What are your tried-and-true family dinners?

11 comments:

Rachele said...

This is overkill but it is ironic as it was almost right next to your post in my rss feed...

http://thecreativemama.com/the-end-of-reinventing-the-meal-menu-planning-and-the-ultimate-menu-board/

skim the overachieving crafty stuff and start really reading midway through. there's some good meal ideas at the end, maybe?

Amber said...

Yeah, I don't love the idea of the board (mostly because I would feel like it was staring me in the face every time I was in the kitchen--seriously, I don't like to think about dinner) but I love the idea of cards for all the dinner choices. Half my problem is that when I'm brainstorming for dinner ideas I can think of about three things that we've ever eaten in our entire lives. I guess that's where a recipe box would come in handy but that's so not me. A google doc seems much more my speed. Thanks for the link!

Christie said...

Tell me more about what you guys like to eat and I'll come up with some ideas for you. Or I'll cook for you once a week. I'd be happy doing both, really. I love spending time in the kitchen and Hen is becoming quite the sous chef. (It helps that I gave him a real knife.)

Christie said...

Also, I'm totally serious about the cooking part. Once a week wouldn't be at all difficult because I can just make one huge meal and split it between our two families.

Rachele said...

well, I knew there was a reason I liked you. I actually have a google doc for my meal ideas! I'll share it with you, with a couple disclaimers. One, it's out of date, so... it lists some meals I don't make anymore b/c they were too much work, and it doesn't reflect some of my newer easy shortcut meals on there.

The other disclaimer is that I have columns for veggie, seafood, poultry, etc... but those are not accurately "X"ed in. At one point I was going to make a better attempt at diversifying our meals for the week. I gave up. Hope to figure some balance out this year. Our only "balance" right now is that I plan on seafood for the night of the grocery shopping day, and I try to have only one sometimes two chicken dishes in the mix. I fall into the chicken trap a lot because it's so easy.

I can't wait to see if you take Christie up on her personal chef offer. Those crazy only-kid parents, ever so helpful, aren't they?? :)

Rachele said...

ps - my creative mama link was more for the meal ideas at the end, not the board/cards idea at the top.

alugnut said...

I hate making dinner as well! We also do a lot of tacos. I have a really easy tilapia dish - with a creamy cheesy sauce that cooks in under 15 minutes in the oven. I buy the big bag of individually rozen tilapia fillets at Costco that I can defrost in water in 1/2 hour, which is great cuz I never remember to defrost anything. I also have a really easy chicken recipe that my kids call "normal" chicken. When I'm somewhat organized I make big homemade macaroni and cheese casserole. It usually gets us through two meals, with some leftovers for lunch as well.

Christie said...

Rachele - Might I get a glimpse of that google doc as well? When I do write up a meal plan, it's usually on a scrap of paper that I tape to the cupboard door.

Rachele said...

christie - I added you.

Emily said...

I love you Amber! I HATE cooking dinner Mon-Thur....but I have been better about it. I try to plan out the weekly dinners just as you mentioned. It works about 25% of the time:)

Darren said...

@Amber / @Rachele - Request the baked ziti. Just sayin'